Sunday, March 16, 2008

Feeding the Soul

Since I teach part-time at a private school in Northern Virginia I, at times, have the good fortune of doing something quite unique. The studio art program offers a portfolio class for students who are interested in going to an art school for college. Five students in the program asked me to take their group photo for the poster which would advertise their year-end exhibit. When asked what type of photo, they answered "we are going to dress as ballerinas, just like some of the Degas paintings. We decided to shoot in a forest just off the school's campus. Now, not at all pretending to be as unique as Degas - or as talented - we set out for the forest - five students, one teacher, and me with my camera.

Putting myself in these kind of situations really gets the creative juices flowing.
It's kind of like writing this blog. Not knowing what will come of it, but knowing that the end result will bring about something unique and worth doing. It all feeds the soul - it's my inspiration.

What I really like about these was that it was all done on the spur of the moment.
No real planning, we just picked a spot and went for it. The location was ideal, the light fantastic, the students very cooperative and a lot of laughs - which is key to any photo shoot.





No comments: