Tuesday, June 22, 2010

You Think This Is Funny...

Found this today on aphotoeditor.com and Were Just Saying.
And the comments to the post were amazing:  "Actually, I am a photographer."
and "Even if I bought a Nikon D3S?" (I hope he/she was kidding).

My point is - for our profession to survive, we, as professional photographers need to evaluate why we are in this profession.
What does it really mean to be a photographer?
--Is it just to take a nice photo?
--Is it because we own some nice equipment?
--Is it because we have "sold" an image, or two?
--Is it because we have friends that think our pictures are "pretty"?

Do you really love photography?  Do you dream about it?  Smell it?  Taste it?  Live it?
Sorry, but I don't think that's enough.  It's a start though.

Taking a Photo I course at a community college is a start - but doesn't make you a photographer.
Joining a local community photo group is great - but doesn't make you a photographer.
Putting your images on Flickr can get you exposure - but doesn't make you a photographer.
All of the above is a great beginning but it all needs to be coupled and supported by a strong understanding of how this business works.

Just because I can make toast doesn't mean I can cook!  Though the way some think about this profession maybe I am.  "I can click a shutter, therefore I am a photographer".  Many really believe this.
--Learning about the business of photography - the concept of licensing, how to marketing, being a good negotiator, the ins and outs of networking...
--Having a style and a vision of what your images mean and how they relate to you target audience.
--Learning, dreaming, smelling, tasting and living this profession.

All this is a start.  But there's more.

It's never been about just picking up a camera.  It's about creating and following a pattern of behavior that enables us to live a life in which we have always dreamed.

No comments: